Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thumbs Up Grandma!

I have set down numerous times to write this, and the words just didn’t seem to come. Maybe it was still to fresh, maybe I didn’t know how to put into words what I was feeling, maybe I didn’t think I could do justice to such a wonderful Christian woman, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.

Here it is…my attempt to remember and show you how wonderful she was…my thoughts on my Grandma and the last day we got to spend on earth with her. I hope it shows you just a glimpse into what an astonishing woman she was.

What can you say about a woman who spent many years of her life taking care of everyone else? When I was little she kept me during the day when mom and dad were at work. I remember having our special cokes together. As I got older, I will remember the way she took care of grandpa. And there was always someone that needed grandma. They didn’t know it, but she did. She always knew the right thing to say or the right time to listen. Even when we wondered how she could hold a pen, she knew that a hand written card made you feel that you were thought of that day.

What can you say about a woman who spent her last day alive wanting to have a party with her family? She loved to be around her family. When she woke up from her ‘nap’ she said that it had been a while since we had a party where we were all together and that is what we did, we had a party. We laughed and had a good time and have lots of good memories of the day.

What can you say about a woman that after she had seen the pearly gates, the streets of gold and my grandfather standing there waiting on her, she decided to have one more day with us because she still had instructions to give. We all got instructions from her, some serious and some funny but everyone that saw her that day got instructions. The one thing that she kept telling all of us was to TELL EVERYONE that she had seen the pearly gates and that they were beautiful and that we all needed to get our lives right so we could be there with her. She loved her family and God.

During our last day with her, she said that when she gave us the thumbs up that meant she was ready to go home. So to you Grandma, THUMBS UP! I miss you, but I will see you again. And just like you promised me, I hope it is you that is standing at the pearly gates to welcome me home!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah - that is AMAZING. Much love to your family, she sounded like an awesome woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, little Reba will be greatly missed! She was an amazing woman of God and loved Him with all her being!! Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts with us! She will be greatly missed!!

    ReplyDelete